Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I Love the Skin I'm In


Let us all take a minute to remember that I am currently studying abroad in ITALY. Italy: the pasta, pizza, and gelato capital of the world. For a girl who loves to eat, this is the place to be. Yes, Italian food is full of starch and gluten and cheese (and all things unhealthy) and all of these ingredients can make you gain weight. But honestly, who cares? As long as I’m walking every day (which, believe me, I am) and eating some healthy food along the way, there is no need to be obsessing over that second helping of pasta or that cup of gelato for a second night in a row. Let’s just put it out there: I Love the Skin I’m In. For a pasta lover, I am in actual heaven, and I have no problem indulging in all of the delectable foods I encounter. So what if I’m not a size zero, I can enjoy my delicious pasta with parmesan cheese and a grin while you can sit there with your lettuce and a pout on your face.

Garlande, Me, Erica, Kristina, Emily, Kate
With that being said … here is what we did today! As a group we went to the Al Teatro Ristorante where we learned how to make bread dough and pizza dough from scratch. The man who taught us to make the pizza was very excited to show us how to form the dough and throw it around like a real Italian. He had a huge smile on his face the whole time, which contagiously spread to everyone in the room. Since we were in such a large group only one of us was able to actually make the dough, but being a bystander definitely proved to make a great photo opportunity!

Erica stretching the dough
Erica being taught how to properly stretch the dough
Showing us how to throw the dough

Erica throwing the dough

Putting the dough in the oven
After our cooking adventure we stayed at the restaurant to enjoy a delicious pizza dinner. In Italy, it is custom to order your own individual pizza, unlike in the US where you order a large pizza to split with a group of people. So, with that, I ordered myself a Caprese Pizza. Honestly, you haven’t lived until you’ve had fresh mozzarella and tomatoes from Italy. (But, that’s just my opinion) Every pizza that was ordered tonight looked scrumptious and here are some pictures to prove it!

Caprese Pizza
Rustica Pizza (Arugula, Pork, Balsamic, Parmesan)

Also, we got gelato and sat in the Piazza Popolo and enjoyed the Italian culture around us. (But that was a given)


Emily, Kristina, Erica, Garlande, Me
Creme Brulee & Chocolate Gelato ... Mmmmm

Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment